Man-O-War Heritage Trust
A proposed collaboration for the virtual (web-based)
sharing and interweaving of heritage documents
- Document and share the "heritage web" between photos and documents stemming from the Abaco area.
- Note, the Man-O-War Heritage Trust ("MOWHT") doesn't own anything. Ownership remains with the donars. MOWHT role is as a facilitator. Web presence (web server, database, content
and tool development) is donated. A core goal is to enable annotation and curation by (registered) users via the web and tablet-based apps.
- Imagine someone who grew up on MOW who has moved away, possibly in college, and wants to show their new friends where they come from. They can come to the collaborating websites and show off their roots. On Christmas break, the friends show their parents. Etc.
- In collaboration with (proposed) Abaco Heritage Trust ("AHT" svbreakaway.info/aht/
), say Person A from MOW has relatives on HT. Help identify, document and portray that linkage.
- Conserve and restore the donated images. And return high resolution versions to that donor as some appreciation for their contribution.
The Organization is proposed to be part of a collaboration of:
Secretary: Deb "Dp" Patterson
Secretary: Mike Niemi
Trustees: Roland Albury, Jan Manni, Mailin Sands, Jeremy Sweeting
Editor: Arista Holden
Founder: Lance Lee
- Donars will have access to their high-resolution originals and any restorations by:
. Web download (password control access to their files) - MOWHT to facilitate access. The donar can print it on their home printer. MOWHT will assist as called on.
. DVD copies - MOWHT will create the DVD and facilitate getting it to the donar.
. Commercial prints (donar pays their print shop directly) - MOWHT will send the (electronic) document to the donar's print shop at the donar's request, the donar handles the rest.
- Each donor gets final say in the use of their images. Their coarse-grained web-resolution images will be displayed on the trust members' websites. This is a pre-req to participating in this trust system.
. MOWHT will do it's best to display them to the donar's wishes. Possibly in the future, tools may be developed by MOWHT so that the donar could more actively participate in that process (wiki style) if they want.
- If the donar choses to leave MOWHT, their high-res originals will be given to them (on DVD) and deleted from the system. Their low-res images will persist on the web pages that use them. No new uses will be created though.
- Donars can change their terms or withdraw from MOWHT at any time.
- Documents will be publicly available (via website) at coarse-grained web-resolution.
- Originals, at full resolution (tiff scans, .psd restorations, etc), to be held by MOWHT.
- Access to originals (location, password, etc) to be shared by the collaborating organizations (in case any one person should be "hit by a bus", a password is lost/forgotten, etc)
- All documents will be kept in common file formats (tiff, psd, jpg, png, sql, plain txt, etc).
- Metadata will be in common standards as much as possible (e.g. Dublin Core), with extensions documented. Furthermore,
. the metadata will reside in the shared archive, available to the collaborators.
. any new tools will be made freely available to the collaborators, and remain the sole ownership and responsibility of the developer.
- The Trustees will guide the MOWHT, with input from the Members. The (proposed) process will be very informal, to be determined by the Trustees. It is proposed to be driven by concensus.
- These articles and any accounting will be posted on the MOWHT/AHT website.